Tuesday, September 18, 2007

All about blogs

Today I researched Blogs!

Blog comes from the words Web log and they squished it all together to form the word blog. The word blog was was coined by Peter Merholz in 1997 but the idea of blogs have been around a lot longer than that. The type of blogging that we are working with was developed from the online diary which was where people would keep track of their daily lives.



There are many blogging websites. The largest right now is Technorati. As of May 2007 it had more than 71 million blogs that it was tracking. Google, Yahoo and other search engines also have there own way for searching for blogs.

There are blogs about everything under the sun from entertainment, music, sports, art or television. People use blogs to learn whats new in the news, to keep in touch with friends across the country or to talk about their favorite band. Some blogs are about absolutely ridiculous topics like the hokey poky or monkeys or stupid things that people do to get attention. Others about really deep topics. You can find a blog to talk about anything that you want to talk about and if there is not one that suites your fancy you can always create your own.


The one blog that I know about it one that my paster has. I had never checked it out before today, I just hear him mention it in his sermons every once in awhile. I figured for this class it might be a good place to start exploring what a blog is all about. Not only does he use it to update the church on things that are happening but he just shares his thoughts. Not necessarily on what is happening in his sermon series but just on life. It has an "about me" section where you can learn just a little bit about who he is and what he does. Then there is a section of links to related sites such as our church website and other Christian websites. Then there is a list of all his previous blogs. The most recent 4 blogs are all open for you to read right there and it tells you when they were posted and how many people have commented on them. I really like my pastor and so I think that this is a nice resource to kind of get to hear what he thinks on more things even if I can not be at church every Sunday because I am up here at school.










This is a picture of my pastor Phil
click on his picture to go to his blog

No comments: